The term immediate dental implant refers to a technique where the extraction of a tooth and placement of the dental implant within the bone is done in the same visit. There are indications to this procedure however, this method can be utilized only after a careful evaluation and treatment planning by the dentist. Below is a list of some of the most important factors, which will determine if immediate dental implant placement can be completed:
- overall health of the patient- a healthy individual will recover sooner then someone with health complications
- the amount and quality of bone that is present for dental implant placement
- which part of the jaw the dental implant is placed
- no infection in and around the extraction site
Some advantages to placing an implant on the day of tooth extraction include:
- second surgery is unnecessary since both procedures are completed in one visit
- faster course of treatment- no need to wait for the extraction site to heal before dental implant placement. Final crown or bridge will be permanently placed sooner.
- less overall discomfort since only one surgery is performed
Discuss the option with your dentist to make sure you are a good candidate for immediate dental implant placement.