The term immediate dental implant refers to a technique where the extraction of a tooth and placement of the dental implant within the bone is done in the same visit. There are indications to this procedure however, this method can be utilized only after a careful evaluation and treatment planning by the dentist. Below is a list of some of the most important factors, which will determine if immediate dental implant placement can be completed:
- Overall health of the patient. a healthy individual will recover sooner then someone with health complications.
- The amount and quality of bone that is present for dental implant placement. Good bone support means a more stable implant and better integration.
- Which part of the jaw the dental implant is placed in. If the sinus cavity is close, you may need a sinus lift before the implant is placed.
- No infection in and around the extraction site. The implant needs to be placed in healthy bone for long-term success.
Some advantages to placing an implant on the day of tooth extraction include:
- Second surgery is unnecessary since both procedures are completed in one visit.
- Faster course of treatment. No need to wait for the extraction site to heal before dental implant placement. Final crown or bridge will be permanently placed sooner.
- Less overall discomfort since only one surgery is performed.
Discuss this option with your dentist to see if you are a good candidate for immediate dental implant placement.